AHI partner Hudson Headwaters Health Network National Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle coaching session. Photo credit: Pepe Productions
The statistics are startling. One in three Americans is pre-diabetic, which translates to more than 110,000,000 individuals affected. Alarmingly, more than 90% are unaware that they’re pre-diabetic. The good news is that diabetes is largely preventable.
With funding from the New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth), AHI partnered with Adirondack Health, Hudson Headwaters Health Network, UVM Health Network – CVPH and Washington County Public Health to launch the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
Registered nurse Greg Freeman is the UVM Health Network – CVPH National Diabetes Prevention Program (NDPP) director AND participant in the program. After learning of his diabetes risk, Greg followed the NDPP recommendations and lost 81 lbs. Greg is an enthusiastic advocate of the program and one of the participants featured in the new AHI NDPP video showcasing how the program works.
Watch the videos
- The new AHI NDPP video features interviews with a lifestyle coach and program participants explaining how lifestyle changes have made a difference.
- A second video provides a provider-focus. Watch the AHI NDPP Provider Video.
- Enrollees in NDPP can expect lifestyle coach support, which teaches how to make better food choices, encourages increased physical activity and importantly creates skills to maintain the newly learned behaviors to continue to be successful.
Read Greg’s story
In an interview with AHI’s Evaluations Manager, Anne-Marie FitzGerald, Greg Freeman shares why he was successful with the NDPP program: Read the interview.
- Join an existing NDPP program:
- Implement an on-site NDPP: visit the Center for Excellence in Aging and Community Wellness for Program and Lifestyle Coach training and resources.
- Learn about DSRIP projects related to our regional prevention agenda: DSRIP Projects 4.a.iii and 4.b.ii.
From the American Medical Association and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- A complete toolkit of provider resources: Download the toolkit.
- A guide to refer your patients with prediabetes to an evidence-based diabetes prevention program: Download the Preventing Type 2 Diabetes Guide.
- View a list of National Diabetes Prevention Program Provider Resources.
- National Diabetes Prevention Program Overview
- Find a National Diabetes Prevention Program in your area: CDC registry of recognized programs.
- Personal Prediabetes Screening Test
- CDC – Take the Quiz
- CDC – A Change for Life Video
A link to DSRIP
The AHI PPS manages Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) health care restructuring in the northern New York/Adirondack region. DSRIP addresses social factors that impact health, requiring engagement and collaboration with many stakeholders. Projects in our region incorporating diabetes in its scope include: